Thursday, May 21, 2009

Do not disturb?

A guy in my dorm at college used to sleep with the window open during the Chicago winters to simulate "missionary training." (He did other crazy things I won't mention here.) He's one of the few people I know who did NOT subscribe to the principle that "Comfort is king." When we're honest, we kinda LIKE that principle. We LIKE being comfortable.

But I don't think God subscribes to that principle very often. Last Sunday at Seneca Creek was an example. Thanks to the International Justice Mission, we heard about the injustice around the world in the form of bonded slavery, child prostitution, and more. And we were brought face to face with the very UNCOMFORTABLE reality that WE are God's plan to bring down the barriers which make it difficult for people to believe that there is a God who cares about them. It made me (and probably everyone there) uncomfortable to see the kind of oppression and injustice that is occurring in 2009. If you missed last Sunday, check out the recording here.

I think God uses those kinds of uncomfortable moments to help us move to action. Let me ask you this: When was the last time God disturbed you? When was the last time your comfort zone was pierced by the prompting of God? If you can't remember when that was, I challenge you to remove the "Do Not Disturb" sign from your life. Here's how to do that. Pray the following prayer every day for a week: "God, please change me." Then get ready, because God will answer that prayer. He will "disturb" you. Your life will never be the same. And you'll never regret it for one second!

No comments:

Post a Comment