Friday, June 25, 2010

Mirror, mirror, on the wall

Today I was reading Jesus' scathing comments to the Pharisees in Matthew 23.  He blasts them for not practicing what they preach.  He scolds them for doing religious things so others would notice.  He accuses them of being the blind leading the blind.  He labels them snakes.  But then he pulls out the "H" word.  Hypocrites.  Not once, not twice, not three times, but SIX TIMES he calls them hypocrites.  (They sound like folks to avoid at all costs, don't they?) 

I often find the Pharisees easy to dislike.  I like to imagine how much different I am, you know, with my knowledge of God's grace through Jesus Christ.  Silly Pharisees...all worried about things that don't matter. 

Then later this morning I opened an email from www.throwmountains.com  (which, by the way, is a totally worthwhile site).  And one line in the email hit me between the eyes.  It was a "Mirror, mirror on the wall" moment.  It said...

Hypocrisy happens when I care more about what people think of me than what God thinks of me.

Ever look in the mirror and wish you hadn't? Yeah.  That's what happened.  Silly Pharisees.  Silly pastor.  Mirror, mirror that I see, wonder what God thinks of me. 

What do you see in your mirror?

No comments:

Post a Comment