Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Crazy leadership tactics


So I’m reading through Nehemiah recently. It’s often used as a text-book on great leadership skills. And in fact, there are some great leadership lessons there. But then Nehemiah says this,

I rebuked them and called curses down on them. I beat some of the men and pulled out their hair. I made them take an oath in God’s name… (Neh. 13:25)

I’m going out on a limb to say that leadership tactic is probably not gonna work for you. Or for me. But here’s the tactic I do want to implement based on feedback from last Sunday.

We had the privilege of hearing from a diverse panel as we looked at “Becoming Part of a Healthy Church.” One panelist noted that as he walks through the lobby and halls of Seneca Creek, he often feels ignored or de-valued because others will choose not to greet or acknowledge him as they approach. Interestingly a few others commented on this phenomenon on their connection cards after the service. Apparently this is more common than I realized. So it got me to thinking.

  • First, I recognize that we’re all capable of getting lost in our thoughts, our busyness, and our insecurities. When that happens, we may ignore someone, or fail to greet them with a hello, a smile, or a handshake.
  • Second, some of you walk through the doors of 13 Firstfield on Sunday and you’ve had a horrible week. You need encouragement, strength, affirmation, and an infusion of hope. Extending a warm welcome to someone else might seem like a herculean task.

I think most of us are in the first category. And if so, let me encourage you to approach Sunday mornings with a slight change. As you walk into the building, just say a simple prayer: “Help me to encourage the people you bring into my path this morning.” If you think that asking, “How’s it going?” is too shallow, try asking someone, “What’s God been teaching you this week?”

By taking the initiative, we’ll not only reduce the numbers of people who feel ignored, but we may very well open up the door to friendships that will enrich us all, and change the course of your life! After all, God has arranged your life and the other person’s life so that you’re together in that moment. Is it a coincidence…or does God have something planned for you? Maybe it’s part of the good work that God is completing in you (see Philippians 1:6). Or maybe that other person is in the second category above.

Let’s try it out this Sunday. And I promise not to curse at you, or beat you, or pull your hair out. :)

- Pastor Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment